Tuesday, July 19, 2011

How I met my good friend, Jim Wideman


The Importance of Networking with other Leaders
Part 3
PM_JW_RF
*Jim Wideman, Roger Fields, and Myself at
Uncensored 2008 in Minneapolis.
In 1978 I was attending Bible School in Tulsa, OK. One of my teachers was a man named Willie George. Today Pastor Willie is Senior Pastor of one of the largest churches in America, (Church on the Move) but in 1978 Willie was Children’s Pastor at a local church in Tulsa. Pastor Willie taught a class on “Ministering to Children” that totally changed my life. One day in class I asked Pastor Willie if I could get involved in his children’s ministry. I went through the Pastor Willie’s training and taught in the 3-5 year old class for one year.
After graduating from Bible School I returned to Michigan where I served faithfully as a children’s pastor for four years. I loved what I was doing but I was not making money to live on. One day I called Pastor Willie to seek some counsel and he told me about a new church in Tulsa (Family Worship Center) that was looking to hire a children’s pastor. I met with the senior pastor, Dr. Ken Stewart and on Willie’s recommendation he hired me to be his Children’s Pastor. I was doing what I loved to do and I was making four times what I was making at the church in Michigan.
In 1986 I took a new position as Children’s Pastor at Living Word in Minneapolis. (Pastor Willie helped me get that job too.) One day I received a package in the mail from this guy named Jim Wideman. (Jim was Children’s Pastor at Evangel Assembly in Montgomery at this time.) I opened up the box and there were a slew of Brother Jim’s Puppet Trax tapes. I gave Jim a call to thank him for the free tapes. (Jim has always been a giver) I got some free tapes for children’s church and I made a new children’s pastor friend.
Four years later (1990) Pastor Willie gave me a call. He was starting a Bible School for Children’s Ministry and he was looking for somebody to head up the school. I gave Pastor Willie Jim’s name and phone number. Pastor Willie originally hired Jim to start the Bible School, but eventually Brother Jim became Children’s Pastor at Church on the Move.
Let’s think about what happened here:
  • I helped Pastor Willie by serving in his pre-school class as a volunteer.
  • In that one year I learned a lot by watching Pastor Willie and serving in a class.
  • Pastor Willie helped me get two children’s pastor jobs.
  • I got some free tapes and a good friend for life!
  • Jim got to be part of a really great church.
  • Pastor Willie got the services of one of the best children’s pastors in the nation.
  • Bother Jim helped Pastor Willie grow the church from 1,000 people to 17,000 people.
Here’s my point: God works through relationships. When networking is done right everybody wins.
Check out Part One and Part two of The Importance of Networking with Other Leaders

No comments: